The IAM is urging the House of Representatives to vote “YES” on a much-needed relief package that would help IAM members and all working people recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The American Rescue Plan has passed in the Senate is expected to be voted on this week in the House. Please act now to implore your Representative to vote “YES” on the American Rescue Plan and oppose any amendments to weaken this well-constructed recovery package.
TAKE ACTION: Tell your Representative to pass the American Rescue Plan now
“The American Rescue Plan contains a number of key recovery provisions that the Machinists Union has supported since the outbreak of the deadly virus to help struggling workers nationwide,” IAM International President Robert Martinez Jr. wrote in a letter to House Representatives. “The recovery package also includes vitally important aid to struggling industries which will allow employers to avoid furloughs and call back workers who have already been laid off”
The package includes the following relief measures, fought for by the IAM:
- $1,400 emergency checks for individuals making less than $75,000 and couples making less than $150,000. A family of four could receive up to $5,600 in direct economic assistance.
- $15 billion to extend the airline worker Payroll Support Program (PSP) and protect the jobs of thousands of airline workers
- $3 billion to support aviation manufacturing supply chain workers
- $30 billion for public transit
- $1.5 billion to recall furloughed Amtrak workers and prevent further layoffs
- Increases the federal unemployment benefit to $400 per week for an additional six months
- Butch Lewis pension legislation to provide retirement security
- Provides COBRA subsidies to help laid-off workers remain on their employer-sponsored health insurance plans
The post Tell the House of Representatives to Pass the American Rescue Plan appeared first on IAMAW.